Golf has become one of the most popular recreational activities worldwide. It can be played by all people regardless of age, race, gender and level of golf skills. The main objective in golf is to push a small, hard ball into a series of holes along the course by using a club in as little strokes as possible. You can play it alone or with a team. It can be played as an entertaining pastime or as a competitive sporting activity.
In a golf game, you should feel comfortable with the things you use. Comfort brings greater performance and added sense of self-confidence. One of the golf equipment that you should be really comfortable with is the grip of the golf club. Golf grip comes in a variety of sizes, colors, shapes and textures. It can be crafted from different materials.
To help you find the perfect golf grip, you might want to consider the following criteria:
• Material Make-up
There are different materials used to make golf grips. It can either be made from leather, rubber, plastic, silicon, elastomer and more. Its texture can also be smooth, corded, or wrapped.
1. Smooth grips are those manufactured with plain smooth surface.
2. Corded grips are those made with a cord-like material that feels rough. Corded grips help golfers playing in rainy weathers, wet and sweaty conditions to gain more traction when holding the grip. Though sometimes, corded grips are disliked by some due to the abrasive feel on the palms.
3. Wrapped grips are those that resemble the original strips of leather wrapped around old golf grip. In this modern day, manufacturers use synthetic materials to produce the texture of old leather grips.
• Size does matter
Just like how a pair of shoes should fit your feet perfectly for a comfortable game, a golf grip should fit your hands for better swing control. The rule of thumb, you should feel comfortable when you hold the grip of your club. The grip’s thickness should be enough for your middle and ring fingers to just barely hit the pad of your thumb. If it’s too thin, your fingers will press deeply on the pad. If it’s too thick, your fingers will be distant to the pad. Finding the right thickness helps you control your swings. It can alleviate the pain brought by too much hand motion or too little hand action.
The size of golf grips varies in different thickness levels. Finding the right thickness of golf grip that suit your hands ensures a comfortable grip throughout the game.
1. Undersized grips’ diameter is 1/64 inch smaller than the standard grip
2. Standard grips’ diameter range from 0.58 to 0.60 inches
3. Midsized grips’ diameter is larger by 1/16 inch than the standard grip
4. Oversized grips or jumbo grips’ diameter is 1/8 inch larger than the standard grip
Grips are also customized as gender-specific. Make sure you’re shopping under the category you’re under.
• Buy Additional Essentials
Aside from new golf grips, you might want to add other essentials in your shopping cart. For grip replacements and adjustments, find the suitable grip tape in your golf store. Grip tapes help golfers to fine-tune the thickness of the golf grip desired. To alter the thickness of a grip, you may add a few layers of tape on the shaft as well as on the grip. A wrap of tape adds 1/64 inch. Make sure you have spare grip tape so you can adjust the thickness to fit your feel.
For a great selection of golf grips and golf grip accessories at the most affordable price, check out http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/. You can find your favorite brands offered at the lowest price possible, and at the comfort of your own home (after all, you’ll only have to use your computer or mobile device). Finding the most comfortable grip tailored just for you is what you have to do for that perfect swing.